Freezer Jam 2014 is upon us! Here you should find everything you need to know!
- Arriving to Ann Arbor and Freezer Jam
- Hotels are available here
- Free lodging is available here
- Freezer Jam is happening at the University of Michigan League and the Lydia Mendelssohn Theater (which is in the same building as the League)
- We have reserved street parking for one equipment vehicle for each corps alongside the League on Fletcher Street between North University and Huron.
- Other vehicles may park for $5 at the Fletcher Street Parking Garage between North University and Huron. This structure is across the street from the League. Tell the attendant you are parking for Freezer Jam at the League.
- See this handy Parking and Eating map, too!
- 7:00 am — Check-in begins
- 7:30 am — Breakfast (fruit, pastries, juice, coffee, tea) will be available at the League
- 8:00 am — Welcome and Session A (Same Tune/Different Corps)
- 9:00 am — Session B (Fife Yoga; Beat Smarter Not Harder: Improving Drum Practice; Using Digital Media to Improve Practice; Scottish Dancing; Irish Session Music; Guard; FDC Behind the Scenes; Tone Drumming)
- 10:30 am — Session C (Arranging Fife Melody Using Pentatonics; Arranging Awesome Drum Solos; Blow Smarter, Not Harder: Improving Fife Practice; Pipes; FDC Idol!; Marching; Musicality for Fifers and Drummers)
- 12:00 pm — Lunch is at Buffalo Wild Wings across the street on State Street
- 1:30 pm — Stage time and Group Rehearsal
- 3:00 pm — Public Concert
- 6:30 pm– Dinner at Holiday Inn on Plymouth Road near US-23 (actual start time depending on the concert end)
- Official Limited Edition Commemorative Freezer Jam 2014 T-Shirts are available! You can buy them before the day of the event. T-Shirt sales directly support the conference!
We are happy to announce that free lodging will be available for interested corps from 8pm Friday February 28th through 8am Sunday March 2nd. Email us at d3corps at gmail dot com for details on how to get to the site.
Freezer Jam shirts are now available in youth sizes (2t-10t) and adult sizes (S-XXXL).
You can order your own Freezer Jam T-Shirt today or pick one up at the event. Limited quantities are available, so place your order here to ensure you get the size you want: .
Have you signed up for FDC Idol! yet? We are offering $50 prizes (Amazon gift cards) for the winner of each category: Intermediate Fife, Experienced Fife, Intermediate Drum, Experienced Drum! There are 10 spots in each category, so sign up today!
Intermediate Fife – Intermediate Drum
Experienced Fife – Experienced Drum
- Play 1 song of your choice (about 1 minute in length)
- Play 1 song of our choice (FDC Idol! Music): Fifers play company version of “President Garfield’s Hornpipe” for Intermediate level, and the variation of “President Garfield’s Hornpipe” for experienced level; Drummers play
- Otherwise, there are no restrictions (except that judges are excluded from competing 🙂
- The judging panel includes current or former members of Plymouth Fife and Drum Corps, D3 Fife and Drum Corps, Old Guard Fife and Drum Corps, and Midnight Riders Fife and Drum Corps
- We will ask the winners to play for us all when they collect their prize at dinner on Saturday night.
The D3 Fife and Drum Corps invites individuals to compete for best Freezer Jam Fifer and Drummer awards at Freezer Jam 2014. We will have some great prizes for the winners of each category, and we will invite each of the winners to play for us all at the end of the day. To compete, click on the link below and choose a spot. There are only 10 spots for each category, so sign up as soon as your sure you want to compete!
Musicians should prepare two songs for a panel of judges at FJ’14, including (a) a song of the musician’s choice, and (b) the appropriate song listed below. You can get copies of the music here.
Intermediate: Company version of “President Garfield’s Hornpipe”
Experienced: D3FDC version of “President Garfield’s Hornpipe”
Intermediate: Williamsburg version of “Hey Johnnie Cope”
Experienced: D3FDC version of “Hey Johnnie Cope”
So what’s the difference between Intermediate and Experienced?
There are a number of hotels in the Ann Arbor area. We’ve reserved rooms at two hotels on the north side of town for a discounted rate. Please let us know if you have any questions about lodging!
- Holiday Inn, 3600 Plymouth Road, Ann Arbor, MI. ($109/room)
734-769-9800. (If calling for reservations, mention “freezer jam 2014”)
Hiannarbor.com – or use the Direct link to the discounted rooms
- Microtel Inn & Suites, 3610 Plymouth Road, Ann Arbor, MI ($63-$83/room)
734-997-9100. Call only for reservations. Mention “freezer jam 2014”
These rates are good until February 14.
The D3 Fife and Drum Corps invites you to join us in the 19th Annual Freezer Jam Concert at the University of Michigan’s Lydia Mendhelshon Theater in Ann Arbor, MI at 3pm on March 1, 2014. Freezer Jam 2014 features performances by fife and drum corps from around the midwest, including Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, and Wisconsin. Each corps will perform a set of music pulled from historical manuscripts as well as other traditional music sources wearing uniforms from the 1700s. Fife and Drum music has been an ongoing tradition in the Midwest and the Eastern Seaboard since the Colonial era. Come experience the wealth of our nation’s musical heritage!
Each ticket costs $10 and directly supports the day long program of workshops that the musicians attend. Tickets for the concert are available online through our nonprofit partner, BrownPaperTickets.com here.
Freezer Jam 2014 is being held at the Michigan League in Ann Arbor, MI on March 1st, 2014. We welcome individual and group/corps registrations either online or via email. Please provide the name and corps affiliation for all registrations.
- Registration for Freezer Jam 2014 is $30 per person
- Please register before 2/22/14
- You may register online or by mail
- Online registration is now open here: http://freezerjam2014registration.brownpapertickets.com/
- There is a $0.99 + 3.5% fee for credit card processing through BrownPaperTickets.com
- Please submit a list of all attendees’ names through the registration interface or via email at [d3corps at gmail com]
Registration by postal mail
- Individuals and corps may also register by mail
- Write checks payable to “The D3 Fife and Drum Corps”
- Contact us at [d3corps at gmail com] for the address
- Please include a list of all attendees’ names with your registration
Important details about Freezer Jam 2014
- We are offering a friendly individual competition for junior (under 16 years) and senior (16 and older) fifers and drummers at Freezer Jam 2014. Space is limited, so interested musicians should sign up by contacting us at [d3corps at gmail com]. We will ask all competitors to perform (by memory) one common tune and a tune of their choice. There are competitions in fife and drum. We will have a prize for the winner of each category, and we would like to invite the top winners to perform during the concert. More details will be posted soon.
- Once again, we will be hosting the “same tune, different corps” feature at Freezer Jam 2014. This year, we invite individuals and/or corps to bring a unique arrangement or variation on “The Power of Whiskey” to Freezer Jam 2014. We will have an hour-long session dedicated to the shared performances of our collected variations. We will have music stands available for this session. If your group or one of your members would like to arrange this tune, please let us know so that we can set aside enough time – you can email us at [d3corps at gmail com]. Also, we’d like to collect these variations and assemble them into an online music book for the fife and drum community.
- We will have free lodging and discounted hotels available for corps members traveling from out of town. Those details will be posted soon.
- Also, parking will be available for the workshop attendees. We will have maps ready to share soon as well.
Please feel free to contact us with any additional questions! Thanks and we look forward to seeing you in a couple of months!